The Transition into Hybrid Schedule

The Transition into Hybrid Schedule

Ava Johnson

After months of learning through a computer, students were finally given the option to transition from complete remote learning into a hybrid schedule. Students can choose to do hybrid, or stay fully remote. For the people who are taking on the challenge of pursuing a hybrid schedule, there are some things you must know. The first day of in-person school was October 19, 2020. To practice social distancing, there are two cohorts that attend school on different days, depending on the first letter of a student’s last name. Cohort A-L is in person on Mondays and Tuesdays, while Thursdays and Fridays are reserved for cohort M-Z. On Wednesdays, the cohorts alternate. For instance, for the first week of hybrid, M-Z went to school in person, while A-L stayed home. A-L will go into school on Wednesday of the following week. 

When arriving at school, you must wait in line outside of the main entrance, each person six feet apart. Masks are required in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Each morning, you must fill out a form that consists of coronavirus-related questions. Before you are able to walk into the building, you must show a staff member your code, proving you filled out the form. When you are permitted to walk in, your temperature will be checked by holding your wrist up to a thermometer. Any student with a temperature of 100.4 or higher must be escorted to the nurse. Each student will then proceed to their assigned areas depending on their grade. 

• Seniors: Auditorium
  • Juniors: Cafeteria
  • Sophomores: Main Gym
  • Freshmen: Auxiliary Gym

Next, students will be dismissed from their assigned areas before 8:24 am and will go to their classes with their devices, headphones, and chargers. The hallways have stickers marking every six feet to enforce social distancing. There are one-way hallways and staircases as well. When you arrive at your class, you must use hand sanitizer and a wipe to disinfect your hands, desks, and chairs. Desks are spaced apart for social distancing purposes. Each class is 50 minutes because we are now following a partial-day schedule. Additionally, there is no lunch period, so be sure to have a big breakfast! 

Physical Education is different this year, due to the precautions schools must take to keep their students safe. There will be no changing in lockers, therefore, you must arrive with sneakers and gym-appropriate clothing. Students must sit on the check marks that are six feet apart on the bleachers. When the last bell rings at 12:54 pm, students are instructed to exit through the closest doors to them to prevent cramped hallways. This year may be tougher with all of the changes the hybrid schedule consists of, however, each student is more than capable of being successful; just try your best and respect the new rules. I hope you all have an amazing year, stay safe and healthy!