School Closures

School+Closures

Ava Cammarata

As the weeks go on, more and more schools in the FRHSD are closing. Currently, Freehold Boro, Freehold Township, and Howell high school are all closed. Doing this is safest for all staff and students, seeing that they have had multiple cases of COVID-19. Cases were spread throughout these three schools, and it was safest for everyone if the schools close for two weeks. Even though some of the students were not very happy about the school closure, they can mostly agree that this is the safest option, especially before the holidays. If students were exposed to the virus before visiting family for the holidays, they could end up infecting their entire family. 

Many students are unhappy with having virtual school for this short period of time because they feel they do not learn as well when they are virtual. They also feel disconnected from their friends and feel like the experience is not as personal. Each student has their own opinions on virtual learning and some are happy about being virtual. Some students feel like school is easier, and they do not have to put as much effort into school if they are home.

Many students in the three schools that have closed have different opinions of their schools closing, but they can all agree that it was for the best. If these schools did not close, more cases of COVID-19 would be spread to more students, who would then bring it home to their families. Now is a time where everyone is trying to be the most careful they can because they may be going to see family during the holidays. Older people are at a higher risk for the virus, so it is a good thing that these schools are closed. Even if students can not learn as well online, it is better that they remain safe and healthy. All in all, Freehold Boro, Freehold Township, and Howell high school closing is the best decision for these schools to help students and staff members to remain safe.