Project Light

Project+Light

Sophie Divino

As a part of Mrs. Lucarelli’s LPS Senior Seminar class, a few students started “Project Light” for their service learning project. Service learning projects are intended for students to enhance their community in some way. LPS students normally first identify a problem within their school and then work to resolve it either by implementing activities, creating interactives, or fundraising for their cause.

“Project Light” was born after students Reena Sarayia, Emma Clearly, Lara Wohlstettor, and Ethan Cappelleri decided to break away from their previous service learning project, which worked to improve the current approach to topis such as gender, sexuality, and sexual health. Now, the group hopes to teach their peers about the body, mind, and soul connections. They aim to do this through mediation, yoga, and breathing exercises.

The group’s first initiative was to teach people more about yoga and it’s different poses. After teaching students how to perform different poses, students were given the option to try it for themselves and get featured on their Instagram. It was a fun and different way to get people involved.

As of recently, the group taught the LPS classes how to make their own gratitude journals from just a single piece of paper. Students fold the paper until it becomes a mini booklet, then they are directed to decorate their journal in any way that speaks to them. Stickers and markers were provided. Students were then encouraged to use the journal to write down everything that they were grateful for. This is an important practice because it allows people to realize all that they have and all that they have accomplished- most of which is overlooked. Gratitude helps us appreciate our current lives. I myself created one of these gratitude journals and was very happy to do so. I occasionally wrote down what I was grateful for in the notes app on my phone, but now it is nice to have an aesthetically-pleasing, designated journal to organize my thoughts in.

Project Light is making great progress and will continue to educate the school! Follow their instagram @projectlightcnhs to stay informed.