LPS Buddy System

LPS Buddy System

Grace Gewirtz

Students from across the district join the Law and Public Service program here at Colts Neck High School to reap the extensive benefits the program has to offer. Diverse classes taught exclusively in the LPS program provide students a deep understanding of the American legal system, public speaking skills, and internship opportunities in later years. However, a combination of the rigorous courses and the foreign nature of the program can lead to an overwhelming transition between middle school and high school. This already overwhelming process has only been complicated further in recent years due to the pandemic. Virtual learning has disturbed both the social and educational experiences of all students, providing an incentive for the guidance office to propose the Buddy System as a remedy for this obstacle.

Pioneered by guidance counselor Mrs. Turi and the director of LPS, Mr. Krais, the buddy system promotes a sense of comfort in the LPS community across grade levels. The program also provides time for underclassmen in LPS to talk about their concerns and receive advice from older students. LPS ninth-graders receive a “buddy” from the junior LPS class, and sophomores receive a buddy from the senior class. The program intends to provide an open environment for the Underclassmen to receive advice from juniors and seniors who have faced similar experiences and have taken similar classes in the past.

Although the buddy system has only been in place since October, the program has received nothing but positive feedback from students of all grade levels! Meetings are conducted once a marking period, wherein several buddy pairs leave class for a block to participate in open discussions led by Mrs. Turi. Anything discussed at a meeting is confidential, ensuring that all students are comfortable enough to let their authenticity loose in a safe environment. Nonetheless, buddy pairs are also encouraged to exchange social media handles to also communicate out of the meetings. For the underclassmen, the access to a mentor to go to for advice, or even study help, can make the transition process into an overwhelming situation seem way less scary. Due to the positive feedback from the program thus far, it is likely that the buddy pairs will continue for years to come!