The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Being Yourself

Being Yourself

There has always been this chronic, societal fear of having a different personality. Most people tend to shy away from individuality and start trying to blend in with the crowd, but I will tell you why this is something you should change. 

This fear of being yourself comes from past shame and humiliation, either from childhood, bullying, or second-hand experience. Sadly, individuality and creativity are killed by institutions and societal norms. The most significant step is to start ignoring how the negative people look at you and shine through regardless of what they say. There will always be people on your side to support you. Take the example of an artist who was always shamed for being who he is, Tyler Okonma, better known as “Tyler, the Creator.” One of the many singer/songwriters who’s never afraid to express his individuality and creative self-expression, even with how judgemental the music industry is. Tyler made a small speech on his experience in life after winning a 2010 Innovator Award for his IGOR album, he conveyed how during childhood and his teenage years people tried to hold him down and limited him; 

“…I couldn’t join band class because I couldn’t read music, but I still had the passion and I’m on two instruments now, picking up a third.” 

“But when all of that happened, I said, “ー  ‘em.” I didn’t let none of that ー stop me from doing anything I wanted to do.” 

(Tyler, the Creator’s speech at the 2019 Innovator Awards)

Tyler ultimately became extremely successful with two Grammys and is universally loved for being himself and persevering even when he had a lot of setbacks in his career. He promotes that everyone can be themselves even when the people around you don’t believe it. Tyler has saved and inspired millions of people when they couldn’t find themselves and were afraid to use their creativity. Self-expression almost always brings the good aspects of life and the success it comes with. Being a follower dims your spotlight, so why let what others think of you take that shine away?