The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Stress Management

Stress Management

School. Homework. Chores. Extracurriculars. Repeat. Life can get pretty stressful and build up quickly without the proper destressing methods. Managing your mental well-being is crucial to a happy, healthy life. Not only can stress be detrimental to your mind, but it can affect your academic performance and social life severely. This, in turn, creates more stress, resulting in a vicious and never-ending cycle. Luckily, there are many ways to keep stress at a minimum. Some of the most effective methods include, but are not limited to, hobbies, physical activity, and practicing good organization.

Studies show that partaking in hobbies you enjoy releases hormones in the brain that spark feelings of motivation and contentment. It is medically proven that any hobbies you find interesting are bound to make you happy. For example, reading can help you let go of the real world for a little while, minimizing the effect of stress. Participating in these hobbies can also create new friendships. For instance, if you were to join a club you found interest in, there would be a high chance of meeting other individuals (like-minded or not) you could potentially build a relationship with; a metaphorical shoulder to lean on when life gets tough.

Much like stationary hobbies, physical activity releases feel-good hormones as well. These hormones help calm the mind and reduce negative thoughts. Studies have found that increased physical activity is tied to better sleep and heightened mental clarity. Additionally, staying active maintains both your mental and physical health. It also helps you meet new people with whom you can make lifelong memories with. Overall, physical activity is an extremely effective way to reduce stress.

Finally, stress can be cut down substantially through the use of a few simple habits. Oftentimes, the most stressful things in life are the uncertain ones. Organization can help create a feeling of surety and permeate you with confidence. For example, if you are stressed about a big speech, it would work wonders to plan the speech ahead of time. Even small things, like what jewelry to wear or the color of lipstick you will put on can reduce the effect of stress. Similarly, decluttering your work area can help declutter your headspace and give you a more rationalized thought process.

Life is a lot, and it won’t stop for you. But with the right destressing through hobbies, physical activity, and organization, you can change the overwhelming rollercoaster that is life into a stroll in the park.