The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Is Social Media Changing the Way We Think About Mental Illness?

According to the CNN article “From ‘menty b’ to ‘grippy socks,’ internet slang is taking over how we talk about mental health” ” people on social media are using slang terms for mental illness. Terms like “grippy socks” are being used to make light of having to go to a psychiatric ward. These effects can be positive and negative. On the positive side, using slang terms can help reduce the stigma around mental health. It can make people feel more comfortable talking about their struggles and seeking support. It can also create a sense of community where people can relate to each other’s experiences and feelings. However, it is important to be mindful of the negative effects of these phrases as well. Slang terms can sometimes minimize the seriousness of mental health issues. It’s crucial to strike a balance and promote empathy and understanding while using these slang phrases.

The use of these slang terms can be good to some and bad to others. These terms can build a community for people with similar mental health issues but teens are easily influenced by social media. Therefore, many teens see these terms on their Twitter or TikTok accounts and they want to fit in so they misuse these terms and fake them or even sometimes develop mental illnesses. These slang terms oversimplify the complexity of mental health issues. This can lead to misconceptions and misunderstandings about mental illness. Young people need to understand how serious mental illness can be and how it does not solely rely on these slang terms. These “jokes” can be very harmful to people who struggle with mental health. Encouraging education and awareness about mental health is the key to making sure that the youth have a well-rounded understanding of these topics.