The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Colts Neck Field Hockey 2023

Wins and losses do not define a team. The Colts Neck Field Hockey team has proved this, displaying their constant skill in all the aspects that truly go into being triumphant. The wins were earned with vigorous hard work, and the losses did not befall without a fight. The team practiced consistently and to the best of their ability throughout the entirety of this season. This was no easy task for the girls on the Colts Neck Field Hockey team yet they still went above and beyond. They surpassed all expectations of not only athleticism, but sportsmanship and talent. 

There was a lot of speculation when it came down to how the team would perform this season. Last year’s team predominantly consisted of seniors; after they graduated, the team’s skill level became undetermined. In addition to the rebuilding of the team members this year, the head coach also changed from Maria Merlucci to Jade Yelk (previously assistant coach). Whether people believed these changes were for better or for worse, the team’s expected performance remained unclear. The team was said to be in for a “rebuilding season” (Les Pierce, The Journal Publications). Their first game put an end to this uncertainty.

On September 9th, Colts Neck beat Jackson Memorial with an outstanding score of 5-1. It paved the way for a successful season for the team and perfectly displayed what the team is all about. With eight wins so far, Colts Neck has proved that regardless of these changes, their excellence and skill will continue to thrive within the team for years to come. The team has a promising future considering the succession so far; led by head coach Jade Yelk with the assistance of Katie Bruno and Matt Jobson.