The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Cougar Theatre Company Presents “The Drowsy Chaperone”!

Currently, the Cougar Theatre Company is hard at work in rehearsals for the annual spring musical, “The Drowsy Chaperone.” 

With the houselights down, a man in a chair (played by Frankie Dige) appears on stage and puts on his favorite record: the cast recording of a fictitious 1928 musical. The recording comes to life and the characters appear in his apartment, as he provides commentary directly to the audience. 

“The Drowsy Chaperone” takes place on the eve of the wedding of Janet Van De Graaf (played by Anastasiya Vasilenko), a vaudeville star who plans to give up her life in show business for married life, and oil tycoon Robert Martin (played by Cameron Guindi). Those in attendance include not-so-bright hostess Mrs. Tottendale (played by Jessica Terlato); her loyal butler, Underling (played by James Black); Janet’s intoxicated Chaperone (played by Alex Risi); Robert’s best man, George (played by Enrico Rondinella); self-proclaimed famed Latin lover Aldolpho (played by Matty Faber); Broadway producer Mr. Feldzieg (played by Jason Colon); ditzy flapper Kitty (played by Reese Figueiredo); two gangsters disguised as pastry chefs (played by Ria Karam and Hallie Alter); and Trix, an aviatrix (played by Gianna Canova). 

The ensemble includes Abigail Riddle, Ivanka Vashist, Lilly Cutrone, Anthony Szyr, Joe Pazmino, Melanie Aguilar, Chris Luna, Julia Scarpa, Nika Berg, Erica DiNapoli, Lela Coxson, Samuel Shemtov. 

With spit-takes, dream sequences, mistaken identity, a deus ex machina, and other spoofs of the stereotypical “musical comedy” galore, this show is a love letter to theatre that is not to be missed. 

A lesser-known 2006 Broadway hit, the original production starred Sutton Foster as Janet. The show was nominated for 13 Tony Awards in its Broadway run and won 5:  Best Original Score, Best Book of a Musical, and Best Featured Actress in a Musical. 

With direction by Alana Herron, choreography by Maggie Skalecki, musical direction by Andrew Macirowski, and tech/set design by Dave Niemierowski, this production is one not to be missed! 

Show dates are Friday, March 22nd at 7 pm, and Saturday, March 23rd at 1 pm and 7 pm. 

Tickets can be found online at cnhsnj.bootix.com!