The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

How to Embrace Your Imperfections

How to Embrace Your Imperfections

No one in this life is perfect. Each one of us is in an ongoing conflict with personal issues and our most detrimental flaws. No matter how hard we try, we will never fully resolve the things that bring out our worst. Yet, these are the things that make us human. I am Max Tapper, and I am here to give you, my fellow students, some guidance on how to embrace your imperfect self. 

1. Say What Is on Your Mind 

Have you ever talked to someone and then afterward thought, ‘‘Why didn’t I say that?’’. I believe that what people do not talk about is what makes the most difference. There are times when I hear things and I want to respond, but my response is not always the most relevant or appropriate. Laughter or agreement from my peers validates what just left my mouth. Even if people disagree, use your voice to reveal honest thoughts. 

2. Let Yourself Perform Under Expectations

We all want to do well, as we should. Still, there is not one of us who has avoided bombing a test or an important game. You have the right to be upset when these things happen. You own that D or baseball falling into the dirt. From my experience, we learn far more from our failures than from our successes. There will be days when the notes come out squeaky. However, with some fine-tuning, you will shine again tomorrow. 

3. Feel Free to Disagree

When working with others, there is an undeniable pressure to all agree on one solution or goal. This result is not always met (at least not right away). If someone proposes an idea that seems unreasonable, I am quick to respectfully let them know. What you have to say may not be correct, but your beliefs must be heard for what they are. To disagree is a challenging task that rewards you with freedom from always being right. 

4. Laugh through the Pain 

Bad things happen to good people all the time. Whether it is a stalling engine or a horrific pile-up, disaster is frequently all that consumes us. Nevertheless, a chuckle forms as I contemplate what has gone wrong. It just feels so good to laugh sometimes. Even when the world moves way too fast, moderate humor is necessary when addressing the irony of life. You might receive some shushes, but as long as you feel better, do not have shame. 

5. Express True Emotions Honestly  

Everyone gets upset, but not everyone is willing to show it. Bottling up and storing away your feelings is probably the worst thing you can do to yourself. Maybe tears will drop, and perhaps voices will transform into screams. Opening up the bottle makes a mess, but the truth cleans it up. I do not always know what to say or do when I get upset. To be short or aggressive is not ideal, but no one has the right to laugh in your furious face.