The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

How to Better Understand Other People’s Perspectives

How to Better Understand Other Peoples Perspectives

We have all encountered people who do not share the same opinions or beliefs as us. However, you cannot immediately assume that the other person is right or wrong. We often submerge ourselves in our interests and goals, forgetting to consider why others think what they do. I am Max Tapper, and I am here to give you, my fellow students, some advice on how to become more understanding of other people’s perspectives. 

1. Ask about Disagreements

Sometimes, you might be unsure why anyone would disagree with you. We tend to reject ideas or views that we do not understand or like, but learning how they arise makes one far more aware of their surroundings. If someone says something that you do not agree with, ask them why they feel that way. Listen closely to their explanation as everyone has their truth to tell. 

2. Imagine if You Were Them

Many of us want to be in a position that will guarantee happiness. However, not everyone can attain this position. Joy occasionally blinds us from the struggles of other people. If you are unable to relate to someone’s dissatisfaction, take yourself out of your comfortable shoes and picture yourself with their issues and background. It will surprise you how similar this will make you feel to them. 

3. Consider the Validity of Their Feelings

People are quick to believe that what others have to say or do is not relevant. This is hardly the case. A contrast in perspectives may not sit well with you, but there has to be at least some truth to alternate sides of life’s story. Think about the specific context in which a disagreement may occur. Perhaps the customer who did not like the tea you served noticed a long piece of dirty hair floating inside his cup. Would that upset you

4. Realize That You Might Be Wrong

All too often, we overcredit ourselves in making judgments about this world. The discovery of a misjudgment that you have committed is hard to accept despite its potential threat to specific individuals. Knowing and admitting when you are wrong reveals humility but also the chance to learn and grow from your assumptions, even if you cannot immediately fix the damage you have done.

5. Help in Any Way You Can

It pains me to think that some people may never receive any support or recognition because they do not see the world in the same way as others. If you sense injustice toward someone who holds a different viewpoint, make time for a brief conversation with them. You may not find yourself able to agree with this person no matter how much you listen. Nevertheless, society must defend those who value what is on their minds.