The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Valentine’s Day

Valentines Day

In this article, I will be talking all about Valentine’s Day. Such as history, some presents, and ancient and modern traditions. So stick around to learn all about these interesting topics about Valentine’s Day.

For starters, I will talk about the history of Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day dates back to the Roman Empire with St. Valentine, a priest during Emperor Claudius II’s reign. The reason why he became so famous and affiliated with love is that Emperor Claudius realized that young men were better soldiers when they were unmarried than married men with children, so he made young marriage illegal. St.Valentine disagreed with this rule and believed that if you were in love and wanted to get married then you should be allowed to marry, so he would secretly marry young people without having the Emperor know. 

Next, I would like to talk about all of the Valentine’s Day traditions both from the past and in the present. A tradition that occurred during the Middle Ages was that men would draw women’s names from a box. Once that man chose a woman, he would be paired with her for the rest of the year. Now there are many modern-day traditions celebrated around the world. For starters in the United States, it is very common for men to go all out for women on Valentine’s Day. On the other hand in South Korea and Japan, it is the opposite and the women pamper the men on Valentine’s Day. While in many countries Valentine’s Day is only celebrated with couples, in Finland it is very common for single people to have the most fun since their Valentine’s Day is called Friends Day.

After reading these two paragraphs you may be interested in celebrating Valentine’s Day with a loved one, but may not know what to get them, well here are some ideas. To start, check on your loved ones’ needs. If they require new clothing or shoes try and get something that they would like to wear. If your loved one doesn’t need anything, you should cater to their likes and interests. You don’t want to buy something for someone that they won’t like, you should find out what they like and buy them a gift based on your research. If you don’t want to buy an actual gift to keep, reserve a seat at your partner’s favorite restaurant so that way you both can enjoy a meal together. Finally, if you are on a tight budget or truly don’t know what to get your partner it is always safe to stick with the classic flowers and chocolate, but make sure you get the type of flowers and chocolate they would enjoy. 

These are just some facts about Valentine’s Day ranging from its history to some gift ideas. If you are interested in the topic you could always do some research by yourself.