The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

A Guide To Stress Management

Since the pandemic, we have all likely noticed a greater focus on mental health. We have also likely continued to experience some level of anxiety without really knowing why. Society has the right to struggle, but from my own experience, irrational doubt is unproductive. It is critical to have the appropriate mindset when reaching our goals. I am Max Tapper, and I am here to give you, my fellow students, some stress management tips to become more confident and enhance your performance.

1. Take Back All The ‘‘I Can’t’’ s 

If negative self-talk were a felony, I would be a notorious criminal. The next time you tell yourself ‘‘I’m a failure,’’ immediately question if that preposterous statement is what you truly believe. Even the worst results teach lessons more applicable than what is on the test itself. Other people will tell you differently, but you must change the script in your mind. I can handle it. I can do it. 

2. Break Down the Bigger Tasks

Sometimes we have to take an important test or apply for a new position. These things might seem scary, especially if they are not in your usual routine. However, before you start work, take a deep breath and think. Rather than cramming or ripping through those questions, do a little bit over multiple days with time limits. You will find that a consistent routine gets it done and also prepares you for conquering any major task. 

3. Take a Step Back 

It does not matter who you are, but everyone needs to know when to rest. I too am guilty of pushing myself while weary or sick. When you do feel this way, spend time doing what will calm you, whether it is napping or drinking lemon tea. You will be able to focus better when you resume work. Also, never be afraid to take a day off when your schedule allows. 

4. Seek Advice

Not everyone holds the same skill level in terms of effective prioritization. Hence, if you are experiencing anxiety over your workload, do not feel alone. You can ask a teacher or parent when and how to study and complete assignments. They too understand what it is like to have stress over responsibilities. You must give those trying to help you the benefit of the doubt, for we are all fighting the same battle. 

5. Have a Schedule

I got to finish reading this twenty-page chapter RIGHT NOW! But you do not have to, nor should you. Rushing the process can and will generate stress and hurt your productivity. Whether it is setting reminders on your phone or in a planner, definite times and places to work enhance performance. Before you jump ahead to that test review, ask yourself if that is the best use of your time. What’s due tomorrow?