The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

How to Handle Burnout

Everyone approaches their work differently. Some people like to stay on top of their assignments while others are guilty of procrastination. No matter how hard or light you work, be aware of burnout. This is a form of stress in which one experiences physical, mental, and emotional fatigue over their responsibilities. I am Max Tapper, and I am here to give you, my fellow students, some suggestions on what you can do when you experience burnout.

1. Listen to Your Body 

A faint eye strain informs me when I have to stop looking at the computer screen. When my mind is endlessly repeating those definitions, I finish studying for the day. Your body will let you know when you are putting too much pressure on yourself. If you tune out your tired feelings, you will only become more vulnerable to anxiety and forgetting information. Allow yourself to rest when you feel you have to. 

2. Go Into a Quiet Area 

When you experience burnout, you will likely feel irritable. It is key to respond to stress professionally. If you find yourself on the urge of snapping, ask for permission to go into a separate room. There, take deep breaths and try to clear your mind from the clutter of overthinking. Step back out when you are ready and ease yourself back into work. The calmer you stay, the sooner you will recover. 

3. Talk to Someone You Trust 

It helps me to know that I am not the only overdoer. We all get lost in those papers and deadlines, but that cannot happen all the time. I have learned that those closest to us can often tell when something is wrong. Whether or not you look deep in thought, tell others how you feel under academic or athletic pressure. They will likely understand, for burnout does not discriminate. To talk about stress is to relieve stress.

4. Get Some Rest 

A common symptom of burnout is exhaustion. When you feel extremely tired, you will struggle to be productive. This is why sleep is critical to one’s effective functioning. As you lie down and close your eyes, you allow your mind to recharge. You are no longer worrying about that big test and finally feel at peace. When you wake up, you can study hard once more and earn that A. 

5. Accept How You Feel and How You Perform 

You may feel shame for not always having the energy to work. Do not. Each one of us, if we have not already, will have a day where continuous labor is impossible. The outcomes of our efforts are not always ideal, and even the highest achiever needs to understand that. You are allowed to fail. As you strive to learn through your worst, you will eventually meet your best.