The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Unplugging From Social Media

Unplugging From Social Media

Society today faces a near-invincible adversary: social media. Teens today are socially awkward and struggle to complete basic tasks due to the constant pull of their devices. Not to mention, social media impacts mental health, imposing unrealistic beauty standards and encouraging bullying. For young high schoolers, it’s important to make sure that one is not sucked into the whirlwind that is social media. Unplugging from social media can be difficult, but things such as nature, friends, and quiet hobbies can help. 

For starters, getting outside is a great way to distance yourself from the digital world. A walk in the park can help you destress, and take some time to be left with your thoughts instead of having opinions forced down your throat. Also, physical health is often impacted negatively by the sedentary lifestyle imposed by mindless scrolling. Moving can help your body stay healthy. 

Another great way to stop the cycle is by interacting with friends. They can help you have fun and feel connected without ruining your mental health.  They can teach young adults how to interact with others. Studies show social interaction decreases stress and depression. 

Finally, quiet hobbies are a relaxing way to keep your mind busy without social media. Activities such as drawing, reading, or writing can stimulate the mind, improving mental health. 

Overall, there are a variety of methods that can be used to get away from social media.