The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

BE THE CHANGE: KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Mindfulness Quote: You can’t stop the waves but you can learn how to surf.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn Exercise your brain more with meditation and mindfulness!
BE THE CHANGE: KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Mindfulness Activity

Yoga Activities

1. To “warm up,” start with a standing pose—for example, the downward dog. From a standing position, put your hands down on the floor, keeping your heels on the mat, until you make a triangle with the floor.
  2. Then, move on to a balancing pose. This is called the tree pose. Bend your right knee and put your foot on the inside of your left leg, either above or below your knee joint. Your knee should be pointing out. 
  3. Finally, move on to a seated stretch. This stretch is called the Cobbler’s pose. Start sitting down on the floor. Then, bend your knees, put the soles of your feet together, and pull your feet in as close to your body while keeping your knees as close to the floor as possible. 

How Can Yoga Help With Mindfulness?

Yoga forces you to focus on stretching and relaxing, taking your mind off your daily life. Yoga encourages you to relax, slow your breathing, and focus on the present. It also serves as a conduit to improve emotional intelligence. If you would like to learn more about mindfulness and yoga, or even participate in our weekly mindfulness meetings, come to room A115 (Ms Ottone’s room) every Wednesday in the mornings and during lunch. We hope to see you there!