The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Taylor Swift Is Not Ruining the NFL

Travis Kelce, current Kansas City Chiefs tight end, expressed interest in Taylor Swift on a July episode of New Heights, the podcast he shares with his brother Jason, recently retired Philadelphia Eagles center. “If you’re up on Taylor Swift concerts, there are friendship bracelets, and I received a bunch of them being there, but I wanted to give Taylor Swift one with my number on it,” he says. Kelce also mentioned he was “butt-hurt” that she couldn’t meet before the show because she had to save her voice for the three-hour show. However, things took a turn because sources spotted them in New York in late August. But the rumors were confirmed when Swift showed up to the Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, cheering on Kelce. Since then, Swift has repeatedly attended his games and stolen attention from the field. 

In my opinion, NFL fans need to touch some grass. Or in this case, turf. During the Superbowl, she appeared 12 times during the four-hour and eight-minute game for a total of 54 seconds or 0.36% of the whole broadcast. It’s not her fault that the NFL wants to capitalize off her. As she said, “I’m just there to support Travis. I have no awareness of if I’m being shown too much and pissing off a few dads, Brads, and Chads.” She is not responsible for the outcome of the game either. She is not the reason they win or lose; that is determined by how well the team plays. While there may be some bias in the NFL, Swift shouldn’t be blamed for this. So fault of the organization instead of the individual who has made it clear that she just wants to cheer on her boyfriend.