The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The 2023 Homecoming Dance

I don’t remember having a homecoming dance at my old high school. I’m happy I went to the one here, I had a blast! I got there by 6:09 PM and not a lot of people were there by then. Just some kids on their phones and the DJ who the teachers said was “really good.” I walked into the cafeteria which was where the dance was taking place. On the other side of the room were some tables with tablecloths on them. It was like a resting place, a spot for kids to sit down and catch their breath from the dancing and loud music. It was cooler there too, so it’s nice to know they thought of keeping us cool when we got too hot from dancing. Next to said tables was a small wall with a print so you could take a picture with friends! That was very thoughtful.

The back of the cafeteria (the side that had no windows), had tables with pizza, water, chips, and nachos that we could buy. Thankfully the first slice of pizza was free. The DJ was on the side of the wall of the door we would walk through to get into the cafeteria. He had two speakers on each side of the table he worked at and some LED lights to make it look a little more funky I guess. The four pillars in the center of the cafeteria had LED lights attached to a wire. It was a little touch that made the homecoming dance feel a little more festive. Around 7:30 p.m., the homecoming dance was starting! A lot more people showed up and the room was filled with excited young adults!

Kids started to dance and request songs. Kids started to show their stuff, and we had a dance circle at the start, and a few more dance circles later on. Some got in a big line and walked around the cafeteria, the line was so big that it looped to the start! Students got right in front of the DJ’s booth and danced together during certain songs. It’s hard to say what else happened because that’s pretty much what happened! I left the dance at 8:30 PM and with blisters on my feet the next day, but it was worth it!