The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Colts Neck High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

How to Preserve Your Mental Health During the Holiday Season

We are in a fun time of the year. Shining lights, classic TV specials, and cherry tunes piping from the radio entail excitement. However, through all of the gatherings and sing-alongs, it can become overwhelming. Great joy sometimes causes you to need a break. I am Max Tapper, and I am here to give you, my fellow students, some tips on how to preserve mental health this holiday season. 

1. Take a Warm Bath

The weather outside is frightful, and so is the risk of catching a cold. If being outside in the snow gets too much, seek warmth through what gets you clean. Dr. Teal’s Pure Epsom Salt or Foaming Bath makes for a restful wonderland after a chilly day. Let the water run for a few minutes before putting in the soap, and make sure that it is not too hot. When you finish, your mind will be clear enough to chant those carols. 

2. Nap by the Fire 

After a long party or dinner, you will probably be tired. A toasty fireplace will make you even more tired in a good way. Lying down under a weighted blanket on the couch in your pajamas? Bliss. As you rest, think about things that make you happy this time of year (for me, hot cocoa and seeing the neighbor’s decorations). Feel free to look up some peaceful piano music, for Vincent Guaradali can give you a slumber of nostalgia. 

3. Eat a Healthy Snack

An army of gingerbread men charging into your mouth is not the most nutritious experience. Whenever I crave something before that honey-smoked ham, some apple slices or a fresh tangerine does not hurt. You should always eat your fruits and vegetables, but not just follow a lifelong rule. By consuming items with nutritional value, you will likely feel better about yourself and want to celebrate happiness. 

4. Go for a Walk 

Clanging pots and stove-top clicks fill your ears with anticipation but also anxiety. When will the guests be here? What does Mom want me to do? If these thoughts are all that consume you, step out and embrace the cold yet calm weather. I recommend taking a warm, heavy jacket and gloves for your excursion. As you walk, notice the leafless trees and frost on the grass. These things might be chilly, but they are winter’s natural gifts.

5. Play a Fun Game with Family and Friends

When you are with loved ones, it is always a good idea to break the ice. Sparking conversations about college is relevant but also stressful. You should never feel guilty for wanting some Sorry! or Jenga. While playing, please laugh and be in the moment. These times will not come every day, but when they do, you must welcome every moment. Just do not take your first piece from the bottom!